REACHING NEW HEIGHTS!
For five decades, the Door County Maritime Museum has educated and entertained the public while working to preserve our rich maritime heritage. Now the museum is taking a major leap forward by expanding our Sturgeon Bay facility with a spectacular 10-story Maritime Lighthouse Tower along the working waterfront of Sturgeon Bay.
The Maritime Lighthouse Tower will offer:
- Ten floors of creative, interactive educational displays that feature many highlights of our maritime history, people and industries;
- Convenient accessibility to a lighthouse experience that will accommodate everyone regardless of physical abilities.
With the addition of this unique and iconic landmark Lighthouse Tower, many far-reaching benefits will be realized including:
- A must-see maritime experience that will draw visitors to our area from far and wide;
- An intriguing destination that will generate tremendous interest and activity and create a significant economic boost to the region;
- Educational experiences that will teach young and old, keep our history alive and help to promote interest in maritime-related local career opportunities.
The educational program will emphasize the Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Math (STEAM) inherent throughout the maritime and marine industries and across the state of Wisconsin. Our primary intent is to encourage children and young adults to consider one of many exciting technical careers in the state. Exhibits and programs within the Tower will use high-tech, interactive displays designed to capture the imagination of the next generation of Wisconsin’s workforce. We are currently working with area K-12 school districts and subject matter experts to develop a STEAM curriculum approach for existing and future exhibits and programs that will inspire the next generation to consider careers in the maritime industries.
From the indoor and outdoor observation decks atop the tower, to the community event space on floor two, the Maritime Lighthouse Tower will be a place that inspires, teaches, and instills a sense of pride in our common maritime history.
We would greatly appreciate your support to make the Maritime Lighthouse Tower museum expansion a reality. When you pledge even a modest donation, you will be investing in the history and the future of the unique Door Peninsula that we all love and enjoy. With your generous gift, this landmark lighthouse addition will soon become an icon to Door County and our maritime heritage as it educates, inspires and dazzles all who visit.
An Important Message from Mark Murphy