The Maritime Speaker Series offers an assortment of monthly programs dealing with everything from historical topics to current issues affecting the Great Lakes and the economy that relies on them. The Door County Medical Center Maritime Speaker Series programs are held the first Thursday of each month, November through May, beginning at 7 pm. For 2020, we will host the speakers virtually – Check back soon for the watch info!
Additional support for the Door County Medical Center Maritime Speaker Series is provided by Foremost Resorts, The Lodge at Leathem Smith, Westwood Shores and the Sister Bay Bowl.
2020/2021 Virtual Speaker Series Schedule:
- November 5 –Researching Maritime History with Wes Oleszewski
- December 3 –Stewart & Theresa Fett “History of Bay Shipbuilding” (2 hour presentation)
- January 7 – Mike McCarthy “Pedaling Around the Door: A Kayakers Journey“
- February 4 – Titus Seilheimer, “Lawyer Dissection” Love in the water with the Burbot fish
- March 4 – Dianna Stampfler: “The Ladies of the Lights” (sponsored by Sarter Marine Towing)
- April 8 – DCMM Curator Rhys Kuzdas: “Container Wars: The Contentious Claim to the Commercial Shipping Revolution”
- May 6 – John Davies, Producer of Heroes on Deck, a documentary on the aircraft carriers and flight training on Lake Michigan in WWII
Richard PurintonNovember 29, 2011
Richard Purinton, who serves as the CEO for the family-run Washington Island Ferry Line, will present a program about life on Washington Island during the winter months.
Plum & Pilot IslandMarch 3, 2011
Tim Sweet, of the Friends of Plum & Pilot Islands, discusses current preservation efforts.
FincantieriFebruary 3, 2011
Umberto Vianello, Chief Engineering Officer for Fincantieri, presents an overview of one of the world’s largest shipbuilders and its anticipated impact on Wisconsin Shipbuilders.
Guardians of the Inland SeaJanuary 5, 2011
Guardians of the Inland Sea: Bob Desh gives a brief history of the U.S. Coast Guard on the Great Lakes.