The Maritime Speaker Series offers an assortment of monthly programs – from historical topics to current issues affecting the Great Lakes and the economy that relies on them. The Door County Medical Center Maritime Speaker Series programs are held the first Thursday of each month, October through May, beginning at 7pm, on the second floor of the Museum in Sturgeon Bay, as well as online. There is no costs to attend; we suggest donation of a non-perishable food item, or if watching online, we ask you to donate to your local food pantry.
Additional support for the Door County Medical Center Maritime Speaker Series is provided by Foremost Resorts, The Lodge at Leathem Smith, Westwood Shores and the Sister Bay Bowl.
Maritime Speaker SeriesMay 11, 2021
Each Fall, Winter and Spring, the Door County Maritime Museum hosts experts and interesting characters from around the country for the Maritime Speaker Series. (Presented in partnership with series sponsor Door County Medical Center in 2020-21).
The Maritime Speaker Series offers an assortment of monthly programs – from historical topics to current issues affecting the Great Lakes and the economy that relies on them.
The Door County Medical Center Maritime Speaker Series programs are the first Thursday of each month, November through May, beginning at 7 pm, on the second floor of the Museum, and online.
No costs to attend; suggested donation of a non-perishable food item, or if watching online, we ask you to make a food donation to your local food pantry.
Just Announced – the 2021-2022 Door County Maritime Speaker Series schedule:
- October 7, 2021 – Barb Chisholm: 150th anniversary of the Peshtigo Fire – CLICK HERE to register for the online presentation
- November 4, 2021 – PBS Wisconsin: Shipwrecks
- December 2, 2021 – Dr. Patrick Jung: Marquette & the Ho-Chunk
- January 6, 2022 – DCMM Speaker TBD
- February 3, 2022 – Tamara Thomsen, Wisconsin Historical Society: Wisconsin Shipwrecks
- March 3, 2022 (virtual presenter) – Dr. Victoria Brehm: Women shippers and traders on the Great Lakes
- April 7, 2022 – Northern Sky Theater
- May 5, 2022 – Daniel Lamere: America’s Cup Sailing
The presenters of the 2020-2021 Door County Medical Center Maritime Speaker Series:
- November 5 – Wes Oleszewski: “World War II & The Great Lakes” – CLICK HERE to watch Wes’ presentation
- December 3 – Stewart & Theresa Fett: “History of Bay Shipbuilding” CLICK HERE to watch Stewart’s presentation
- January 7 – Mike McCarthy: “Pedaling around the Door” CLICK HERE to watch Mike’s trip
- February 4 – Titus Seilheimer, “Lawyer Dissection!” Love in the water with the Burbot fish. CLICK HERE to watch Titus
- March 4 – Dianna Stampfler: “The Ladies of the Lights” (sponsored by Sarter Marine Towing) CLICK HERE to watch Dianna’s presentation
- April 1 – DCMM Curator Rhys Kuzdas: “Container Wars: The Contentious Claim to the Commercial Shipping Revolution” CLICK HERE to watch Rhys
- May 6 – Harvey Moshman and Brian Kallies: “Heroes on Deck: Aircraft Carriers on Lake Michigan in WWII” CLICK HERE to watch
Thank you to everyone who joined us for the virtual 2020-2021 Door County Maritime Speaker Series. Our final presentation in May of Heroes On Deck with hosts Harvey Moshman and Brian Kallies, is available on YouTube, with the option to support the Museum and purchase the full DVD version in the Museum’s online store.