Win This Boat!
The master craftsmen of the DCMM wooden boatbuilding workshop have finished the 2022 class project – a 16’ Merlin rowboat. This one-of-a-kind, easy-to-row boat could be yours, if you’re the lucky raffle winner! Our volunteer instructors Jerry McNamara, David Morgan and Bob Schottmuller selected the rowboat design, and students spent more than 1,500 hours building the vessel using mahogany marine plywood and ash, with some surprise decorative pieces, and a rich maroon color!
Purchase tickets, and you’re helping the Museum support and pass down this maritime craft and skills to upcoming generations. Tickets for chances to win the boat (and trailer!) are sold for $20 each or 3 for $50. Only 1,500 tickets will be sold for this boat! Buy yours at the Door County Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay.
The 16′ Merlin is regularly on display in the first floor lobby at the Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay. The boat is scheduled to make appearances at events during the 2022 festival season, including Baileys Harbor July 4th celebration, Sturgeon Bay Sidewalk Sales, Fall Fest in Sister Bay, and more! The winning tickets will be drawn Saturday, October 15 at 4pm, at Sister Bay’s Fall Festival. (Winners need not be present to win.)
Each year, DCMM hosts a wooden boatbuilding class, keeping alive the traditional maritime craft. Aspiring boat builders have an opportunity to learn firsthand skills of the age-old craft of building wooden boats. The class is open to beginners and experienced woodworkers, and includes about 25 days of instruction from October through May.
WHERE WILL THE BOAT BE IN 2022?
In between the following events: Wooden boat on display in Sturgeon Bay Museum lobby; tickets on sale at admission desk throughout summer;
July 3-4: Baileys Harbor July 4th Celebration
July 28: Sturgeon Bay Sidewalk Sales
August 5-7: Classic & Wooden Boat Show at the Museum in Sturgeon Bay
September 3-4: Marina Fest, Sister Bay
September 17: Harvest Fest, Sturgeon Bay
September 24: Autumn Fest, Baileys Harbor
October 14-15: Fall Fest, Sister Bay – raffle winner drawing
DCMM Wooden Boatbuilding Class History
- 1998 Hull #1
- 1999 14’ Duck Trap Wherry – Hull #2
- 2000 15’ Wittholz Catboat – Hull #3
- 2001 Shellback Dinghy – Hull #4
- 2002 Wee Lassie – Hull #5
- 2003 Pooduck Skiff – Hull #6
- 2004 Nutshell Pram – Hull #7
- 2005 Shellback Dinghy – Hull #8
- 2006 Wee Lassie II – Hull #9
- 2007 Lawton Tender – Hull #10
- 2008 Acorn Dinghy – Hull #11
- 2009 Shellback Dinghy – Hull #12
- 2010 Cosine Wherry – Hull #13
- 2011 Nutshell Pram – Hull #14
- 2011 Pooduck Skiff – Hull #15
- 2012 Abenaki Canoe – Hull #16
- 2013 Beach Peapod Yacht Tender – Hull #17
- 2014 Whitehall – Hull #18
- 2015 Stickelback Dory – Hull #19
- 2016 Whitehall – Hull #20
- 2017 Merlin 16 Rowboat – Hull #21
- 2018 Adirondack Guide Boat – Hull #22
- 2019 Lawrence River Skiff – Hull #23
- 2020 & 2021 Rangely ’17 – Hull #24
- 2022 Merlin 16 Rowboat – Hull #25
To join the Wooden Boatbuilding class as a student, volunteer to help the Museum sell raffle tickets at an event, or donate materials or funding to the class, please call the Museum office: 920-743-5958 or email: email@example.com.