Each year, DCMM hosts a wooden boatbuilding class, keeping alive the traditional maritime craft. Aspiring boat builders have an opportunity to learn firsthand skills of the age-old craft of building wooden boats. The class is open to beginners and experienced woodworkers, and includes about 25 days of instruction from October through May.
Tickets are on sale for the Museum’s annual Wooden Boat Raffle. In 2021, we’re raffling off the 17’ Rangeley Lake Boat, hand-crafted by the Museum’s 2020/2021 Wooden Boatbuilding Class volunteer instructors Jerry McNamara, David Morgan and Bob Schottmuller and their students. This one-of-a-kind, gorgeous wooden boat comes with a trailer generously donated by American Marine and Motor Sports.
Purchase tickets, and you’re helping the Museum support and pass down this maritime craft and skills to upcoming generations. Tickets for chances to win the boat are sold for $20 each or 3 for $50. Only 1,500 tickets will be sold for this boat! Buy yours at the Door County Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay.
The 17′ Rangeley Lake Boat is regularly on display in the first floor lobby at the Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay. The boat is scheduled to make appearances at events during the 2021 festival season, including Baileys Harbor July 4th celebration, Sturgeon Bay Sidewalk Sales, Fall Fest in Sister Bay, and more! The winning tickets will be drawn Saturday, October 16 at 4pm, at Sister Bay’s Fall Festival. (Winners need not be present to win.)
WHERE WILL THE BOAT BE IN 2021?
July 2021 & in between events listed below: Wooden boat on display in Museum lobby, tickets on sale at admission desk throughout summer;
July 4: Baileys Harbor Independence Day celebrations;
July 29: Sturgeon Bay Sidewalk Sales
August 13-15: Classic & Wooden Boat Festival at the Museum in Sturgeon Bay
September 4-5: Marina Fest, Sister Bay
September 18: Harvest Fest, Sturgeon Bay
September 25: Autumn Fest, Baileys Harbor
October 9: Pumpkin Patch, Egg Harbor *
October 15-16: Fall Fest, Sister Bay – raffle winner drawing.
(*Event attendance pending)
Past Boat Raffle Winner
Congratulations to Jerry Brey, the winner of the 2019 St. Lawrence River Skiff, and boat trailer donated by SkipperBud’s!
DCMM Wooden Boatbuilding Class History
- 1998 Hull #1
- 1999 14’ Duck Trap Wherry – Hull #2
- 2000 15’ Wittholz Catboat – Hull #3
- 2001 Shellback Dinghy – Hull #4
- 2002 Wee Lassie – Hull #5
- 2003 Pooduck Skiff – Hull #6
- 2004 Nutshell Pram – Hull #7
- 2005 Shellback Dinghy – Hull #8
- 2006 Wee Lassie II – Hull #9
- 2007 Lawton Tender – Hull #10
- 2008 Acorn Dinghy – Hull #11
- 2009 Shellback Dinghy – Hull #12
- 2010 Cosine Wherry – Hull #13
- 2011 Nutshell Pram – Hull #14
- 2011 Pooduck Skiff – Hull #15
- 2012 Abenaki Canoe – Hull #16
- 2013 Beach Peapod Yacht Tender – Hull #17
- 2014 Whitehall – Hull #18
- 2015 Stickelback Dory – Hull #19
- 2016 Whitehall – Hull #20
- 2017 Merlin 16 Rowboat – Hull #21
- 2018 Adirondack Guide Boat – Hull #22
- 2019 Lawrence River Skiff – Hull #23
- 2020 & 2021 Rangely ’17 – Hull #24
To join the Wooden Boatbuilding class as a student, volunteer to help the Museum sell raffle tickets at an event, or donate materials or funding to the class, please call the Museum office: 920-743-5958 or email: email@example.com.