The Maritime Speaker Series offers an assortment of monthly programs dealing with everything from historical topics to current issues affecting the Great Lakes and the economy that relies on them. The Door County Medical Center Maritime Speaker Series programs are held the first Thursday of each month, October through May, beginning at 7pm. The Maritime Speaker Series is held in the Reddin Bridge Room at the Door County Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay. Admission is free of charge with a suggested non-perishable food donation. Additional support for the Door County Medical Center Maritime Speaker Series is provided by Foremost Resorts, The Lodge at Leathem Smith, Westwood Shores and the Sister Bay Bowl.
- October 3 – Dan Heibler: “Ghost Stories of the Great Lakes”
- November 7 – DCMM Volunteers “The 100-Year History of the Tug John Purves”
- December 5 – Paul Kuehn “What is Means to be a Friend of Plum and Pilot Island”
- January 9 – Daniel LaMere “The ABCs of ABS and the Winter Fleet”
- February 6 – Dr. Don Mikulic “The Ledge, the Lake, and the Limestone”
- March 5 – DCMM Curator Rhys Kuzdas “Built for Battle: Sturgeon Bay and World War II”
- April 2 – Dan Heibler “Myths and Mysteries: Legends and Lore of our Great Lakes” – CANCELED
- May 7 – Wes Oleszewski “World War II & The Great Lakes”
Visit our calendar for speakers and dates
We’re on TV!
See videos of our Maritime Speaker Series on Public Access Cable TV! Selected presentations in the series will be recorded and added to the Sturgeon Bay Public Access TV Online. We will also post the links here:
The Grand Traverse Islands: Our Next National Lakeshore?February 16, 2016
John Bacon, Chair of the Friends of the Grand Traverse Islands. A presentation on this unique area – stretching from Door County, Wisconsin, to Upper Michigan’s Garden Peninsula – and the reasons for protecting it through the creation of a national park.
Richard PurintonNovember 29, 2011
Richard Purinton, who serves as the CEO for the family-run Washington Island Ferry Line, will present a program about life on Washington Island during the winter months.
Plum & Pilot IslandMarch 3, 2011
Tim Sweet, of the Friends of Plum & Pilot Islands, discusses current preservation efforts.
FincantieriFebruary 3, 2011
Umberto Vianello, Chief Engineering Officer for Fincantieri, presents an overview of one of the world’s largest shipbuilders and its anticipated impact on Wisconsin Shipbuilders.
Guardians of the Inland SeaJanuary 5, 2011
Guardians of the Inland Sea: Bob Desh gives a brief history of the U.S. Coast Guard on the Great Lakes.