11th annual Mariner & Coast Guard Awards Dinner – August 10, 2021
The public is cordially invited to an award presentation and dinner honoring all nominees for the Mariner Award and the Sturgeon Bay Area Coast Guard Person of the Year. This special event is scheduled for Tuesday, August 10, 2021, at the Sturgeon Bay Yacht Club, and is hosted by the Door County Maritime Museum, Sturgeon Bay Coast Guard Committee, and SBYC. Social hour begins at 5:30 p.m., followed by the presentation of the awards and delicious dinner at 6:30 p.m.
Door County Mariner award
Presented jointly by the Door County Maritime Museum and the Sturgeon Bay Yacht Club, the Mariner Award recognizes individuals who have had a significant, positive, lasting impact on the Door County maritime community. The Mariner Award is given to one living recipient and also posthumously to historical Door County maritime figures.
The living recipient receives the Mariner Award trophy, a hand-crafted original work by noted Door County wood carver David Frykman. The posthumous award recipients receive special recognition at the dinner and their names are permanently displayed on the Mariner Award plaque that is prominently featured in the upper lobby of the Door County Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay. The award is intended to be inclusive, recognizing nominees who have contributed significantly and positively to any segment of the local maritime community.
The 2020 Mariner of the Year was awarded to:
- William C. “Bill” Parsons, navy veteran, former co-ower of Palmer Johnson Yachts, dedicated Door County philanthropist.
The 2020 posthumous honor went to local maritime legend:
- John D. Thenell, salesman for Marine TraveLift, former owner of Baudhuin Yacht Harbor and the Fish Creek Alibi Dock, volunteer for Door County’s maritime community.
United States Coast Guard Person of the Year
Sponsored by the City of Sturgeon Bay Coast Guard Committee, Greater Green Bay Council of the United States Navy League, Sturgeon Bay Yacht Club and Door County Maritime Museum, the Coast Guard Person of the Year award recognizes a local active duty Coast Guardsman or Guardswoman who exemplifies the Coast Guard’s core values of Honor, Respect and Devotion to Duty. The honoree is selected from among nominees submitted by the three local Coast Guard units—USCGC Mobile Bay, Marine Safety Detachment Sturgeon Bay, and the Canal Station. All nominees are recognized and the winner announced at the award dinner.
The 2020 USCG Person of the Year was awarded to:
- Chief Warrant Officer Brent Fike – has demonstrated exceptional leadership, incredible ingenuity in solving problems, unmatched energy and charisma leading the Engineering Department aboard CGC Mobile Bay both during and following a yearlong dry-dock and complete ship mid-life extension in Baltimore, MD.
You are invited!
Reserve your seat today, to celebrate and honor the men and women who keep our Green Bay and Lake Michigan waters safe. A portion of your ticket price pays for a USCG Person of the Year nominee or Coast Guardsman or woman to attend!
Dinner at the Sturgeon Bay Yacht Club includes: choice of entrée, baby red potatoes, chef’s mixed vegetables, dinner salad, rolls, beverage and dessert. Tax and gratuity included in ticket price. Cash bar will be open and pouring your favorite drinks!
Entrée choices include:
- Chicken Marsala – Pan seared bone-in breast of chicken with caramelized onions and mushrooms topped with a homemade marsala cream.
- Pork tenderloin – Grilled pork tenderloin with apple and maple syrup glaze
- Vegetable Terrine – Grilled Vegetables fused with garbanzo and flax served with a red pepper gastrique.
Reservations are required by Friday, August 6!
Click here to reserve ONLINE and pay by credit card, or contact the Door County Maritime Museum: (920) 743-5958.
About the Awards
The Coast Guard Person of the Year and Mariner Award dinner is just one event among many to celebrate and commemorate Sturgeon Bay Maritime Week: A Salute to the United States Coast Guard. This week-plus of events and activities celebrate Sturgeon Bay’s rich maritime heritage, and honor local Coast Guard personnel and their families.
Information on additional Maritime Week events can be found on the Door County Maritime Museum’s website, www.dcmm.org.
Community Engagement Manager
Door County Maritime Museum