Why the Tower?
The Maritime Lighthouse Tower will promote the region’s maritime heritage and working waterfront, from marinas and boatyards, to shipbuilders and yacht design/construction businesses, to sail makers and chandleries. And, as a visual landmark with a distinctive design, it will sustain Door County’s lighthouse heritage and serve as a beacon for the city and for the region.
Without a doubt, the 11-story Maritime Lighthouse Tower will be a dramatic addition to the Sturgeon Bay working waterfront. A central iconic feature, it will attract tourists and boaters as well as maritime conferences.
As a cornerstone of the Sturgeon Bay’s west side development, the Maritime Lighthouse Tower will significantly impact the economics of the local and greater Door County community. More visitors will boost the economy through patronage growth at area hotels, restaurants, and retail establishments. The Maritime Lighthouse Tower will foster specific benefits:
- Create a central tourist attraction in Door County
- Promote regional shipbuilding businesses
- Promote regional yacht design and construction
- Promote regional marinas and Great Lakes boating
- Promote regional yacht and boat sales
- Be a compelling reason for maritime conferences to convene in Sturgeon Bay
- Establish a central iconic feature of Sturgeon Bay waterfront
- Sustain lighthouse heritage
The Door County Maritime Museum anticipates that the Maritime Lighthouse Tower will compliment the West Side Waterfront Development. As with all community developments, the synergy between the development’s features is critical. Functioning as a central community, tourist, and business conference attraction, the new Maritime Lighthouse Tower will attract and foster more development on the West Side. The interaction of a central, iconic attraction and other commercial development is critical to invigorating the city’s downtown.
Additional Tower Project Information
- Become a Supporter
- A Proud Record
- The Challenge & Solution
- The Maritime Lighthouse Tower Experience
- For the Local Community:
- For Inland Maritime Industries:
- Potential Tower Exhibits
- A Brief History of the Door County Maritime Museum
- Celebration and Preservation of Maritime History