REACHING NEW HEIGHTS!
For more than five decades, the Door County Maritime Museum has educated and entertained the public while working to preserve our rich maritime heritage. Now the museum is taking a major leap forward by expanding our Sturgeon Bay facility with the landmark Jim Kress Maritime Lighthouse Tower along the working waterfront of Sturgeon Bay.
The Maritime Lighthouse Tower will offer:
- Ten floors of interactive educational exhibits that highlight maritime history, people and industries;
- Accessibility to a lighthouse experience that will accommodate everyone regardless of physical abilities;
- A must-see maritime experience that will draw visitors to our area from across the country;
- An intriguing destination that will create a significant economic boost to the region;
- Hands-on educational experiences that will teach young and old, keep maritime history alive and promote interest in maritime-related local career opportunities.
The educational program will emphasize the Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Math (STEAM) inherent throughout the maritime and marine industries and across the state of Wisconsin. Our primary intent is to encourage children and young adults to consider one of many exciting technical careers in the state. Exhibits and programs within the Tower will use high-tech, interactive displays designed to capture the imagination of the next generation of Wisconsin’s workforce. We are currently working with area K-12 school districts and subject matter experts to develop a STEAM curriculum approach for existing and future exhibits and programs that will inspire the next generation to consider careers in the maritime industries.
The Jim Kress Maritime Lighthouse Tower will enable DCMM to better and more effectively share the important maritime culture and heritage of our community with a wider audience, making our unique part of American history come alive for visitors. Each exhibit will have a lasting impact. The new Lighthouse Tower will light the way for countless young people who will find inspiration to pursue careers in engineering, environmental sciences, and maritime technologies – all careers vital to Door County and throughout Wisconsin and the Great Lakes. By increasing tourism, it will also become a significant economic stimulus that will generate more revenue and success for businesses throughout Door County and the region.