Each Fall, Winter and Spring, the Door County Maritime Museum hosts experts and interesting characters from around the country for the Maritime Speaker Series (presented in partnership with series sponsor Door County Medical Center). The Maritime Speaker Series offers an assortment of monthly programs – from historical topics to current issues affecting the Great Lakes and the economy that relies on them.
The Door County Medical Center Maritime Speaker Series programs are the first Thursday of each month, November through May, beginning at 7 pm, on the second floor of the Museum, and online. No cost to attend; suggested donation of a non-perishable food item, or if watching online, we ask you to make a food donation to your local food pantry.
2022-2023 Maritime Speaker Series schedule:
- October 6: The Storied History of the S.S. Spartan and the S.S. Badger on Lake Michigan, presented by Shelby Soberalski, Director of Marketing and Sales at the S.S. Badger.
- November 3: Aboard the Great Lakes Maritime Academy Fleet, presented by Jerry Achenbach, Superintendent of the Great Lakes Maritime Academy.
- UP NEXT – December 1: Hope for Sturgeon in the Great Lakes and Sturgeon(less?) Bay, presented by Titus Seilheimer, Fisheries Outreach Specialist with Wisconsin Sea Grant. Click here for online presentation
- January 5: The Berylune: Journey of a Door County Boat, presented by Brennan Christianson, Door County Maritime Museum Collections Coordinator and Gills Rock Site Manager.
- February 2: Love and Life on the Great Lakes with Mr. and Mrs. Captain, presented by Peggy O’Connell and Captain Raymond Sheldon, Captain of the Joseph L. Block.
- March 2: Stories of Maritime Mayhem on Milwaukee’s Waterways, presented by Matthew J. Prigge, Wisconsin Historical Society.
- April 6: Captain Dan Seavey: A Pirate Behaving Badly on the Great Lakes, presented by Samantha Engel and Aaron Guylas, historians and creators of Great Lakes Lore Podcast.
- May 4: Between Boats and Brews: Captain Pabst’s Interesting Career Switch in Wisconsin, presented by Dave Fehlauer, President of the Pabst Mansion Volunteer Council.