Cana Island Restoration Project
Illuminate Our Heritage
The Cana Island Restoration Project is an on-going process of restoring Cana Island Lighthouse to ensure she stands tall for generations to come.
In 2009, the Door County Maritime Museum, Door County Parks Department, and the Historic Structures Report project team identified basic flaws in the current buildings that hindered access by the public, limited interpretation , and caused general degrading of the building infrastructure over time that will, if left unaddressed, result in the loss of historic integrity.
We are now fundraising for Phase 3 of our Restoration Project. Funds will be used to build a center to include a gift shop, admissions office and an interpretive area. This center will also house the 3rd Generation Fresnel Lens when it is retired from the lighthouse and replaced. We need your help to accomplish this goal. Please consider donating to the Cana Island Restoration Fund to ensure future generations can enjoy the rich maritime history of Cana Island Lighthouse.
Phase 1 of the Restoration Project has been completed and included new restroom facilities and a maintenance building; a parking lot; repair to the copper roof; repainting of the tower; repaired masonry on the tower and keeper’s house; restoration of windows and doors; and many other updates.
Phase 2 was completed in 2017 and included restoring the out buildings including the oil house, privy and barn.
Phase 4 is scheduled to start after Phase 3 fundraising and construction are complete. Phase 4 will restore the interior of the keeper’s house ($1,000,000).
Your help and donations have made great improvements in preserving Cana Island Lighthouse for generations to come.
What We Have Accomplished So Far…
2012– Restroom Facilities and maintenance building erected (cost of $300,000)
2013– Land Acquisition and parking lot construction for safe improved access (cost of $1.5 million)
2014– Baileys Harbor native and landscape architecht, William H. Tishler, began field and archival research on a Cultural Landscape Report outlining a management strategy for each significant landscape component (gardens, tree, stone walls and an archway) that graced Cana Island Light Station during the historic period of 1918-1939 (cost of $10,000)
2014 to 2015– Restoration of the entire exterior of the light tower and keeper’s dwelling, to include: (cost of $984,000)
–The copper roof was repaired on light tower
–The lantern glass was replaced with laminated UV blocking glass to protect the original 3rd Order Fresnel lens
–The lead paint on the light tower was removed and the tower repainted
–All masonry on the tower and keeper’s house was inspected and repaired with more than 1,000 bricks being replaced with historical brick
–Significant carpentry work was done in the keeper’s house to restore/rebuild all windows and doors
–The modern asphalt shingle roof and aluminum gutters on the keeper’s house were removed and replaced with historically correct wood shake shingles and copper gutters
–The sidewalk was replaced and ADA compliant access created
–Landscape around the foundation was completed
The restoration of the oil house, privy and barn was completed in 2017 and included the following:
Although this list appears long, it’s just an overview. The construction documents total more than 320 pages plus the 15 full drawings and many detail drawings that were used to complete this part of the Cana Island Light Station project .
Eleven separate construction trades brought their skills to the project. The excavation, concrete, masonry, carpentry, electrical, metal smithing, plastering, painting, hazardous material removal specialists and landscaping trades all were involved.
A house moving company was hired to move the barn off of what was left of the old foundation and then, once the new foundation was completed, move it back.
The oil house built in May 1890 is unique to Cana, being of hexagon design and constructed of native limestone.
- Replaced the metal roof
- Repaired or replaced all exterior wood trim
- Remove metal cladding from door and restored the door, door frame and threshold
- Restored the vent system that was not functioning
- The lead paint from stone work was professionally removed
- Inspected and repaired all stone masonry, tuck pointing all joints
- Ran electricity into the building
- Painted all the exterior wood and lime washed all stone
- Removed the wallboard and repaired the plaster walls
- Repaired the ceiling structure and installed new plaster ceiling
- Repaired and leveled the floor
- Painted all plaster surfaces and sealed the floor
The new brick privy was built in October 1906 replacing a wooden structure situated near and to the east of the Keeper’s dwelling.
- Removed the modern roof, repaired the roof sheathing and install period correct shingles
- Removed and replaced the wood vent stack and installed a varmint screen
- Repaired or replaced all wood trim
- Repaired all brick masonry, tuck pointing all joints
- Repaired and restored the window
- Restored the door frame and threshold and replaced the door with a replica
- Removed the modern pit cover and installed a new cover fabricated in the original style
- Painted all exterior wood
- Removed all existing plaster and replaced
- Removed the modern sheet goods and plywood on floor and rebuilt with period correct material
- Painted all plaster surfaces and trim, clear finished the floor and painted the fixtures
BARN / STORAGE SHED
This building has been a barn, storage shed (including a coal bunker) workshop and at one point a residence for the keeper’s father. The exact date of its construction is not known, however it existed prior to 1906 as the sidewalk leading to it was installed that year.
- Picked up the barn moved it, rebuilt the crumbling foundation and then moved the barn back and set it on the new foundation with rubble stone face
- Inspected, repaired and replaced the wall boards and battens
- Restored doors and windows and associated framing and trim
- Inspected, repaired and replaced roof sheathing boards
- Removed rolled ridge cap, restored and reinstalled it
- Installed period correct roof shingling
- Painted all exposed wood except the roof shingles
- Ran electricity into the building
- Repaired and replaced the floor boards
- The lead paint from the interior was professionally removed
- Cleaned all remaining interior surfaces
- Repainted all of the interior that was originally painted
Our continued success depends on donation and support from those who wish to see us preserve our heritage. Cana Island Lighthouse has stood tall for over 140 years. We want to see her standing for centuries to come. Donations may be made via Paypal, GoFundMe, or by sending a check to:
Door County Maritime Museum
Cana Island Restoration Project
120 N Madison Ave.
Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235
WLUK-FOX NEWS 11 did a feature on the Cana Island Restoration Project on Wednesday, August 30, 2017.